Wednesday 13 January 2010

Echelon 2007 Pinot Noir

Restaurant week in DC, and Meg was in town. I made a rez at Oya, a swanky Eurasian place in Chinatown for dinner. Three courses and a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc later, we braved the sardine metro experience back to Friendship Heights. We decided to open a bottle to enjoy in our PJs, so I looked for the mellowest choice on the rack. It was this pinot noir, which I got (on sale) for a meager $5.66 at the supermarket behind campus.

The front label reads "Vin de Pays de l'ile de Beaute," which from what I could gather is just a phrase used to identify certain country wines grown in Corsica. It is 87% pinot noir and 13% other Rhone varietals. While the grapes are French, the wine itself is blended in Sonoma.

The first thing I noticed about this one was the color - almost a transparent ruby brown in the light. It glided in light and smooth up front, as expected, and left a dry kick on the back of the tongue. On inhale, the words "hollow" and "metallic" came to mind. (Secret: I am actually drinking the last glass from the bottle right now, while eating leftover scallops from dinner last night, and it is strange. This wine combines with the lingering scallop flavor and it tastes like I'm sipping spare change. Not the worst thing that has ever happened in my mouth, but I don't recommend the pairing.) The label says it's fruity, and I guess that's true.

I'd definitely buy this again for the $5 price tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment